SiouxSports.com Forum

NCC Hoops 2003-2004

The Sicatoka

I think maybe the North Dakota schools may be down this year for various reasons,however SDSU,USD,UNO should represent the conference very well. I also think Minnesota State will surprise some people. SDSU has a very tough pre-season schedule and so far has not had any letdowns. I suspect the NCC will be a battle as always with wins on the road tough to come by.

The SDSU women beat two very good teams by double digits last weekend Ne Kearney and the team they beat in the Championship Northern KY.

• 3 weeks later...

The UND mens team is really an enigma. With only nine healthy players, and really only three who are probably legit NCC players, it's hard to believe UND could beat anyone by 30-plus on the road, especially a team who is traditionally very strong at home. It's even stranger when you consider that Northern St. beat Jamestown College a few weeks ago. Jamestown is, by all accounts, a lot better than fellow DAC-10 member UMary, who as we all know beat the Sioux by more than 30 points earlier this season.

It's even stranger when you consider that Northern St. beat Jamestown College a few weeks ago. Jamestown is, by all accounts, a lot better than fellow DAC-10 member UMary, who as we all know beat the Sioux by more than 30 points earlier this season.

According to the latest NAIA Division II Men's Basketball Rating, Jamestown is the #1 team in the country in their division. Dickinson State is at #13 and U of Mary received votes.

Just when it looked like the UND mens basketball team had a little something going, they blow a 15-point second half lead at home to lose to a very mediocre UMD team. There are just so few players on the team who can score. Lindahl, Johnson and Rypkema will generally give you double figures, and on occasion Bradley. Otherwise, unless Nobles gets healthy, nobody else can put the ball in the basket with any degree of consistency.

The UND women should be rated #1 this week, as SDSU surprisingly lost two games: to Winona and Concordia-SP. UND's 28-point win over #20 UMD will certainly open some eyes of pollsters. Here's the last poll.

The women will certainly have to endure some tough weather this week, as they play on the Kona Coast of the Big Island. :lol::lol: The game against Drury shouldn't be a pushover, as they are ranked #9.

Well, ol' Richie may not be much of a coach, but at least he's not a crybaby like this guy:

Guiot wanted a foul called on Lindahl's steal. "Our guy got pushed down and they scored," he said.
Bemidji State beat UND 87-85 earlier this season. Guiot said free throws were the difference in the rematch. UND made 24 of 30 free throws. Bemidji State made 8 of 10 free throws.

"Charles Hanks, a preseason All-American, got to the line zero times," Guiot said. "That's what it came down to ... . That only happens here. You show me one All-American who doesn't shoot one free throw in a game in Division I, II, III, and I'll give you a million dollars."

This guy is putting together a real stable program. He "only" has ten juco transfers on the roster. I guess he doesn't understand that if you're going to take a shortcut in an attempt to win as many games as possible in a short period of time so as to get a better job, you're supposed to actually be good. He's recruiting all transfers, and his team is STILL mediocre. You can go 5-6 with local guys, too, coach.

I dont understand that statement by their coach....I was at the game and if the refs wanted to they could have called a lot more fouls on BSU...they played thug ball...hand checking...hip checking....setting moving picks....it was brutal.....and how is logic is that because he is a pre-season all america he should shoot free throws??? what is that...so if you have 3 all americans you should be given the game??? earn your foul shots....you dont earn them by throwing garbage at the hoop...take it to the basket strong and you may get a call?:lol: come on coach....i will agree shooting 30 foul shots to 10 is bad but their team is a bunch of thugs....Rypkema had Hanks imtimidated before he took off his shooting shirt....and he didnt foul him he was straight up in the air......develop another move Hanks.....and you may have gotten more than13 points....All American...what did he have the last time we played BSU about the same 13 or 14 i believe...come on coach...and the play he was crying about when Lindahl put in the basket under their hoop was because their guy landed on their own guy and he almost turned a ankle....get this guy a diaper...he needs to change his pants...and possibly a bottle too...come on.....

It's convenient that his comments come now, after UND got screwed at Bemidji at the start of the year. These NSIC people don't realize that the NCC has a lot bigger players overall, which lends itself to more physical play, and that is how NCC refs call the games.

It's convenient that his comments come now, after UND got screwed at Bemidji at the start of the year. These NSIC people don't realize that the NCC has a lot bigger players overall, which lends itself to more physical play, and that is how NCC refs call the games.

Along those same lines, I almost died at the womens game on Saturday when certain UMD fans were belly-aching about getting "homered" by the officials. I guess they forgot about last year's game in Duluth when UMD shot an unheard-of 48 free throws in the game!

Your right about the BSU head coach. He's now in his third year and I think he's had something like 20 tech fouls. He's big complainer. They are a scary team at home, they've only had 2 home games all season.

But your right, he's a big baby.

IN general, I agree the NCC is a little more physical, but not much. The NSIC as it gets better is getting more physical and listening to our head coach on radio, etc he doesn't complain about it. It's just fun to watch good hoops this year.

Should be a great regional. Any pre conferenc thoughts where the regional will be held? Looks like SDSU. The RMAC's top team Metro State was beaten my Duluth and Winona. Kearney sounds like their solid again. But I'm saying SDSU in March.

Rat,

Even though I'm an NSU and NSIC fan, it's not as bad as you think. To date the NSIC men have won only 12 of the 38 games played vs. the NCC (32%). The NSIC women have won 16 of 35 (46%).

I actually think both leagues (with the exception of a few teams) are down this year at least to this point. In the NSIC for example, NSU starts 3 sophomores and 3 of the next 4 coming off the bench are 2 freshman and a sophomore. Southwest is starting 2 freshman. Duluth has 9 freshman, sophomores on the roster - only 3 upperclassmen.