SiouxSports.com Forum

I give up

sprig

Ok, Sic, I give up. Who was number 12 for the Sioux (number retired)?

I don't remember players numbers from the past few years, much less those from the past.

I'd guess the "king", but would think it was awhile before that.

I believe that the number 12 was last worn by Terry Casey who earned All-American honors in the early to mid 1960's, then was killed in a car crash during the summer.  His picture is displayed on the wall that features former Sioux All-Americans.

Number 12: Terry Casey.

He played three seasons (63-64, 64-65, 65-66) and is tied with Marc Chorney and Curtis Murphy (for 46th) in all time UND scoring with 88 games, 57 goals, 61 assists, for 118 points.

He was an All-American in the 1965-66 season with a 26/28/54 line in 30 games.

He died in a car crash and no one has worn number 12 for the Fighting Sioux hockey team since.

I obviously didn't know the guy myself.  But still think about it wistfully.  

Certainly it was a tragic loss for his family and friends.  

I think of the hype on that guy, and how cool it would have looked to see that monster on the ice with the Circus in 1986-1987.  Gino said in Fight On Sioux that Big George would have played on the first line.

Ok, how big was he?  If memory serves he was 6-2, 6-3 and 240?   Wow.

I just hope this 20 year thing isn't some sort of trend.  I hesitate to even say that.   :D

I'd forgotten what year Pelawa would have come to UND. Can't imagine that team with him added to it. Big loss for the Sioux. Think I remember the team and coaches attending the funeral?

Terry Casey was a good choice to add to the "Mt. Rushmore" thread on USCHO. I had trouble getting past naming four players from the early 80's teams, so I didn't post any.

Pelewa was an incredibly tragic loss.  It would have been amazing to see someone that big and talented rip up (literally and figuratively) the WCHA.  He would be considered a monster now, imagine what it would have been like in 1986?

What DI schools- if any -  had offered him a fb ride?

Terry Casey was from Great Falls, MT. I remember his mother being an Internationally known figure skating coach. She coached a couple of internationally competitive figure skaters, men and women. Terry learned strong skating skills from her. At UND, during hard practices, he would perform some of the figure skating programs he had learned. This would break up the tedium of some hard practices. He was a teamate of Gino Gasperini's and I believe Gino was the coach who retired his number permenantly. By the way, does anyone know what and whose number other than Casey's is also retired? As per George Pelewa, he was a first round draft choice of the Calgary Flames and I think was one of the first 3 or 4 taken in that draft. I remember seeing him at the Meet the Sioux Football Team, in '86(Roger Thomas's first year as head coach) and He dwarfed the football team players.

By the way, does anyone know what and whose number other than Casey's is also retired?

Other retired numbers? I can't come up with any.

Currently in use:

1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 30, 31, 35.

18, 19, 23, 27, 35 just left.

2 was worn by Hakstol less than 10 years ago.

Parise told someone he's wearing 11 and O'Leary wore it recently.

12 is Terry Casey (retired).

14 was worn by Hasbargen.

28 was Paul Murphy.

29 was worn by Mike Possin.

I've never seen a Sioux player in 32, 33, or anything above 35 but those aren't traditional hockey numbers.

Is there another retired number?

Following the graduation of All-American defenseman Bill Steenson, the nummber 2 was retired. This lasted untill Gino became head coach. I believe the first to wear the #2 sweater was Mark Berge. Since then it has been worn by Akil Adams, Dave Hakstol and Curtis Murphy to name a few.

I am going strictly on memory on this. The one concession made to the retired number 2, was that Berge wore two jerseys at that time. I believe he wore the jersey with the number 2 on it on the 'away' or all green jersey. On the 'home' or white jersey I think he wore #28. Anyway it was a different number. The next year, he wore #2 both home and away. Since that time, I think it