SiouxSports.com Forum

Holy Cross Radio Highlights

KirkEisenbeis

Hockey fan Mark Lewin wrote the text quoted below on another forum (reprinted with permission).

Mark Lewin wrote:

> I tuned into WCHC, the Holy Cross student station and

> listened to the broadcast by two Holy Cross students.

> They were in awe of the Sioux, the arena, the intensity of the crowd and

> were very proud that their team had the opportunity to play in the

> tournament. They criticized their team when it was warranted and praised

> their opponents when it was deserved. In other words, the amateurs were

> truly professional. Maybe it was because they are young and inexperienced

> and haven't been taught yet that the best way to build your team up is to

> tear down your opponents.

[...]

> As I mentioned yesterday, I sent a note to WCHC, the Holy Cross radio

> station, telling them what a fine job they did. Within a few hours, I got

> an appreciative note back from Craig Lowell, one of the game announcers. He

> included an mp3 file that he made up with excerpts from the WCHC broadcast

> of the HC-Minnesota game.

>

Kirk

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. Awesome tape. That Friday UM-Holy Cross game was one of the best sporting events I ever attended. The energy in The Ralph all weekend was awesome. Kudo's to HC, the Fighting Sioux and all the great fans who attended.

Sioux fans -

My name is Chris Del Vecchio. I'm the PD at WCHC (the Holy Cross student radio station) and the one who put together the highlight clip from last Friday's game. I just wanted to say thanks so much to everyone who has gone to the WCHC website to listen to the clip and for all the rave reviews.

Please continue to circulate the link around the web. We've got a counter on the page and we're completely blown away by the number of people who have been there already.

We are working on getting the entire game up online in its entirety. I'll post a link to that once it is available.

Chris Del Vecchio

HC Class of 2006

cldelv06@holycross.edu

P.S. - here's the link again to the highlights:

http://college.holycross.edu/wchc/hockey.htm

that was AWESOME!!

I really liked the music that they incorporated into the play by play, i really like how it foreshadowed and helped to tell the "story". I gotta be honest, i don't think i've ever jumped that high or cheered that hard for a goal by anyone, including any sioux goal, just because of the underdog, the hated gophers, and the entire vibe that was flowing through that arena. What made it that much better was that it was a hell of a prelude to the Sioux coming out for warmups with that vibe still resognating throughout the arena. Thank you HOLY CROSS for one hell of a hockey memory. That clip encompassed the feelings of 9000 of the 11000 people in the ralph that night and the countless others listening throughout.

edit: i also hope that it will teach the uppity snobs at the regular season games that it's ok the be loud and cheer and provide that kind of atmosphere for our FIGHTING SIOUX and hopefully we'll be talking about the NEW atmosphere at the NEW RALPH for years to come.

Sioux fans -

My name is Chris Del Vecchio. I'm the PD at WCHC (the Holy Cross student radio station) and the one who put together the highlight clip from last Friday's game. I just wanted to say thanks so much to everyone who has gone to the WCHC website to listen to the clip and for all the rave reviews.

Please continue to circulate the link around the web. We've got a counter on the page and we're completely blown away by the number of people who have been there already.

We are working on getting the entire game up online in its entirety. I'll post a link to that once it is available.

Chris Del Vecchio

HC Class of 2006

cldelv06@holycross.edu

P.S. - here's the link again to the highlights:

http://college.holycross.edu/wchc/hockey.htm

Put a guest book on the site; we'll fill it!

edit: i also hope that it will teach the uppity snobs at the regular season games that it's ok the be loud and cheer and provide that kind of atmosphere for our FIGHTING SIOUX and hopefully we'll be talking about the NEW atmosphere at the NEW RALPH for years to come.

Don't lump all the regular season ticket holders into one category. I've been on my feet cheering when the entire student section was sitting. We need to band together and cheer our team on. Maybe if we had some cheers the whole crowd could get into . . . we could get the place rockin'

Don't lump all the regular season ticket holders into one category. I've been on my feet cheering when the entire student section was sitting. We need to band together and cheer our team on. Maybe if we had some cheers the whole crowd could get into . . . we could get the place rockin'

not lumping, i'm a regular season ticket holder and i cheer and yell and clap and whatnot, but i'm one of few in my section that does. there are people around me with the jerseys on that don't stand up when a goal is scored. sad, but true. and i'm not lumping, i've bolded those that i'm singling out.

Thanks for the great work on the highlight clips. I was visualizing the game as I was listening to the highlights and got excited all over again. I, too, want to congratulate Holy Cross on a great game and a great season.

Wow, what a game!

I loved watching the Holy Cross players leave the ice after the overtime. It was great to see such enthusiasm and excitement in their faces. You could tell it meant a lot to them.

Siouxtatoo42 your quote: "I gotta be honest, i don't think i've ever jumped that high or cheered that hard for a goal by anyone, including any sioux goal, just because of the underdog, the hated gophers, and the entire vibe that was flowing through that arena." summed up my thoughts exactly.

I am a die-hard Sioux fan, but between the 3rd period and OT, a fellow Sioux fan asked me what I was thinking. I said, I can't tell you. She said, tell me. So, I told her that if HC scored the next goal, I wouldn't care what happened in the Sioux-Michigan game. She said, my friends and I are thinking the same thing.

So, Holy Cross, thanks for the great memory.

That's got to be the wildest radio booth celebration ever :lol: Thanks to HC for getting the Sioux crowd rolling; the noise following the OT goal continued right through the Sioux coming out to warm up.

I'd be really disappointed if I'd have had to miss this regional in person (dagies? ;) )

not lumping, i'm a regular season ticket holder and i cheer and yell and clap and whatnot, but i'm one of few in my section that does. there are people around me with the jerseys on that don't stand up when a goal is scored. sad, but true. and i'm not lumping, i've bolded those that i'm singling out.

I think we need to accept the fact that some people who attend sporting events are more demonstrative and show a higher level of enthusiasm than others. And that's okay. There are a variety of reasons why some people don't stand, clap and cheer loudly, ranging from shyness, apathy to physical disabilties.

Don't worry about other people. Lead by example and do what you can do to fire up the team. Others will follow.

I think we need to accept the fact that some people who attend sporting events are more demonstrative and show a higher level of enthusiasm than others. And that's okay. There are a variety of reasons why some people don't stand, clap and cheer loudly, ranging from shyness, apathy to physical disabilties.

Don't worry about other people. Lead by example and do what you can do to fire up the team. Others will follow.

i understand that, but you were there friday and saturday. have you ever heard that place rocking like that for our beloved college hockey?? honestly, I haven't, and that was damn fun.

easier said than done, when people are there to see the rink not the game.