SiouxSports.com Forum

#1- First to go...Zajac

cjsol

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smaby will be next followed by Stafford. Those are some big shoes to fill. It is so frustrating as a Sioux fan. We had a chance to have a dominant team next year but the loss of our top center is a big loss. Especially since I think most people would have leaned toward him likely coming back for his junior year. Not too many players leave after two years, although with the new CBA who knows this will probably be a lot more common.

Good luck Travis. Can't blame you for taking the money when offered. However, one day you will realize that money never gonna replace the feeling that skating for #8 next year would have provided.

Somebody said before that great Sioux players come and go, but the real legends are the ones wearing a NC ring.

Good luck Travis! It was great to watch you the past two years and I'm sure that you'll do well in the NHL.

We have to realize that for these players it has probably been their dream since age 3 to be in the NHL. Yeah, they would always wait another year... but at the same time they have to be thinking "what if I get hurt". It's better for then to make the jump when they can. And Travis is definatly skilled enough to make the jump.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Good luck Travis. Can't blame you for taking the money when offered. However, one day you will realize that money never gonna replace the feeling that skating for #8 next year would have provided.

Somebody said before that great Sioux players come and go, but the real legends are the ones wearing a NC ring.

Agreed 100%. A national championship is one thing that money cannot buy.

im bummed a bit but not frusterated at all. these are the names we expected to leave so we move on and reload with our incoming talent. we will be just fine next year and the years to come as well. my list of 6 is down to 5.......that will keep dwindling as well

smaby

zajac*

parise

oshie?

toews?

stafford

im bummed a bit but not frusterated at all. these are the names we expected to leave so we move on and reload with our incoming talent. we will be just fine next year and the years to come as well. my list of 6 is down to 5.......that will keep dwindling as well

smaby

zajac*

parise

oshie

toews

stafford

Oshie and Toews will stay in my opinion. I mean really what is the point of even recruiting these guys if all you are going to expect is one year.

Does anyone know if the Sioux told Zajac to play Juniors in '03-'04 or was that the year he blew up and earned his scholarship? The only reason I ask is that it seems like some team would have had room for a guy like Zajac that year and then he at least would have been a three year player.

Oshie and Toews will stay in my opinion. I mean really what is the point of even recruiting these guys if all you are going to expect is one year.

well, i not to sure that anyone except oshie lovers at the beginning of the year thought that he would be this damn good this EARLY....he did go from a mid 20's blues prospect to the #1 overall prospect in 6 months..not to shabby....so if sidney crosby said i will come and play for 1 year and then leave for the pros your saying you would not take him?? just using it as a example :glare:

Aren't we seeing the '03 and '04 draftees jumping to the pros because they can get more signing bonus money? The '05 and '06 draftees are governed under the new CBA so the incentive isn't as great to leave early. I'm guessing a guy like Toews likely will make the decision based on where he is on the development curve instead of the money curve because he'll be drafted high enough to get a near-max contract anyway. I'm not sure about Oshie since he was drafted later in the 1st round, so the success he had this year and/or additional years of college success could be used as a bargaining chip. Regardless, it's likely going to be about where these guys can get the most development.

Smaby will be next followed by Stafford. Those are some big shoes to fill. It is so frustrating as a Sioux fan. We had a chance to have a dominant team next year but the loss of our top center is a big loss. Especially since I think most people would have leaned toward him likely coming back for his junior year. Not too many players leave after two years, although with the new CBA who knows this will probably be a lot more common.

No way Zajac was coming back. Smaby or Stafford for that matter. They lose to much upfront money after this year. We can all hope, I was hoping Potulny and Irmen would want to end on a better note, but it is unrealistic. It goes with having a program like that. Oshie may be a flight risk because he is a little older than Toews, but I would expect both back. You will still be loaded.

Respectfully I must disagree with your logic DAR. First off your assuming now that since we will lose these players UND is going to be very good next season and the cupboard is bare. I think this is hardly the case, especially with this team. Even with what we will lose, we will be gaining some amazing players and having some amazing players returning I think UND is going to be just as strong and if not better. Imagine Toews with a summer in the weight room same with Lee and Oshie. You see what I am getting at. I Hope Fighting Sioux fans don

Congrats Travis, a great accomplishment and exciting opportunity. You'll be playing with the highly-competitive New Jersey Devils organization, it won't get any better then that. Plus, you have the great opportunity of playing with former Sioux greats Zach Parise and David Hale.

Sad to see this boy leave the program, he was a stellar two-way forward unlike Kessel or Vanek will ever be, haha. Penalty killing, face offs, did all the little things. Had a lot of fun watching you for two years, now we all look forward to hearing about you're success in the NHL. Good luck bro!

I mean really what is the point of even recruiting these guys if all you are going to expect is one year.

Uhmm, good year. :glare:

The UND program can't recruit mediocre or less talented players because we only want players that will stay 2, 3, or 4 years. With the talent we are lucky to get year after year, we can only expect them to play the year(s) that they play. If that turns into 2,3 or4 years, hurray. If that turns into only one year, well, hey, we had them one year, good for us!! :D

The UND program can't recruit mediocre or less talented players because we only want players that will stay 2, 3, or 4 years. With the talent we are lucky to get year after year, we can only expect them to play the year(s) that they play. If that turns into 2,3 or4 years, hurray. If that turns into only one year, well, hey, we had them one year, good for us!! :D

I agree with you Sioux-cia, I'm never going to complain about the top-rate talent that comes to UND. Obviously with that talent, comes the possibility of them leaving early, but the upside of recruiting such great players far outweighs the negatives.

The risk of having a good team is that you are going to lose your top players.

Oh Travis, we hardly knew ye...

When Irmen signed I was pretty sure Zajac would sign. Maybe it's not for the same reason but I think with the CBA these guys needed to take the money and run. Just my guess, anyway.

And Zajac has been a monster in big games late in the season the last 2 years. You could see this coming the way he played the last month or so.

We'll miss you here, Travis. What a great all-around forward. It was a lot of fun to watch you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: having Fighting Sioux skaters leave "early" for the NHL is the price we pay for enjoying such talented college hockey year in and year out. Sure I am disappointed seeing these young men leave after a couple of years, but I am also extremely happy for them, and for the prestige that their leaving adds to the UND program.

Think of how much easier it is to recruit a blue-chipper when one of the coaches can point to all the NHLers who've passed through Grand Forks. And think of how cool it is to be able to say (while watching the NHL on the tube or in person) "Yeah, I saw him as just a kid while he was a Fighting Sioux!"

Congrats Travis. I look forward to the day you, Zach and David can pull an Eddie and bring Lord Stanley's Cup to Grand Forks for another visit.

Agreed 100%. A national championship is one thing that money cannot buy.

Can't remember which pro said it, but I recently heard someone talking about how special their college years were, simply because of the comraderie that is built through the years. He stated that at the NHL level, it's all a business, and where you may be somewhere one day, you may be somewhere else the next. Or perhaps it will be a teammate. The point of the story was the close relationships that are built through college years, simply because of playing together for those times, and those relationships don't occur at the pro level. It was definitely a positive for staying in school for 4 years.

In regards to the best players leaving school early/how it affects a team. I seem to recall having a ton of talent in 1998 and 1999, and being one of the favorites to win the national title both those years. The following year, we lost a lot of the talent, but our team pulled together to win #7. Yes, we still had talented players, but we lost a lot of the top guys prior to that year. Talent doesn't win championships. Teamwork and chemistry are the key ingredients. Yes, I would like to see every Sioux player stay for all four years, but I know that's unrealistic. I do know that our program is resilient, and we'll field a team that will be a contender next year, as well as years to follow. Go Sioux!

I am really sad to see Zajac leave. I am not trying to be mean but I really wish people wouldn't leave so early. I love the sioux, but it just bothers me that people leave so early. I mean Zajac is going to be a Junior and all but I really wish that he would finish his carrer in ND. Anyway Best of Luck in everything you do Zajac