SiouxSports.com Forum

Brian Devillers

legend334

I just wanted to ask everyone who knew Brian or is associated with UND baseball or Red River to give a quick prayer for Brian.....He is in the hospital with Meningitus...sp?? and is currently in a coma...sp??...Not sure of what the long term consequences will be from this....but things are defenitely not sounding good....any prayers would be appreciated or cards etc.....they are asking for now flowers due to he is in intensive care...in case of allergies....Thanx

I just wanted to ask everyone who knew Brian or is associated with UND baseball or Red River to give a quick prayer for Brian.....He is in the hospital with Meningitus...sp?? and is currently in a coma...sp??...Not sure of what the long term consequences will be from this....but things are defenitely not sounding good....any prayers would be appreciated or cards etc.....they are asking for now flowers due to he is in intensive care...in case of allergies....Thanx

That is terrible - how long has he had it? I realize it can hit quickly and do a great deal of damage!

It certainly isn't important at a time like this, but he was a heck of a baseball player! He will be in my prayers! Thanks for letting us know!

Big D is struggling a little bit, but he's hanging in there. Apparently he's having a hard time coming out of the coma, but a MRI showed no swelling on the brain. At this point all we can do is wait and pray.

WE'RE THINKING OF YOU BIG D!!

"meningitis"

Flowers are usually held when a patient is in protective isolation. Flowers can serve as a source of infection (bacteria and fungus from the vase water, soil or the flower/plant). Normally...these bacteria/fungi do not cause a problem but when someone is fighting a life-threatening infection the immune system is so overwhelmed that it can no longer protect itself from even the simplest infection.

Get well soon...

I've got some more word on Big D this afternoon....

They did take him off of the medically induced coma they had him on--he's now starting to put together some complete sentences, they're taking the stomach tube out, and he appears to have most, if not all of his motor skills returning. Sounds like things are starting to look up again.

I don't really know much about this viral menace, and was wondering if SiouxMD (I'm assuming that means you're a doctor) could fill me in on what exactly this is, what causes (spreads) it, and why it has the capabilities of causing brain damage and claiming lives.

I got this from Ryan Bakken about 2 minutes ago:

The news is good about Greg and Janet Devillers' son, Brian, today. "It's as well as we've felt in eight days," Greg said.

Brian, about 25, is the Grand Forks resident who has meningitis. It was very scary for a very long time.

But Brian will be taken out of the intensive care unit tomorrow, if not tonight. He has been able to put complete sentences together in response to questions in the last day. He's tired and doesn't talk much, but gives short answers and/or visual responses to questions.

He could start physical and speech therapy as early as tomorrow.

"He's not out of the woods yet," Greg said. "There are still concerns about some possible damage done. But he got up by himself and sat on the bed."

Greg and Janet asked me to pass along this news because they know of the high interest in Brian at the Herald and in the community. so feel free to spread the word.

that is great news....i hope everything turns out well!!! Makes you stop and think about things...we go about our daily lives and for the past two weeks Brian has been fighting for his life....puts things into perspective a little bit..actually into perspective A LOT!!!

hopefully all the prayers have been helping!!!

They said he was being rather stubborn when they took him in for an MRI yesterday. When I heard this I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that he was back to normal. His parents had a tough time and seem to be doing a lot better now.

Craig Horpedahl and Jon Godfread are in the midst of setting up a fund raising account to help ease the family with some of the expenses. There will most likely be opportunities to help out at Grand Forks American Legion games, as Brian is one of the all time great players to pass through the program and continues to help the program now by coaching. There will also be opportunities at other local baseball activities as Brian has been one of the most influential coaches in GF youth baseball for over the past 5 years. He has also worked with youth basketball programs in GF since his playing days at Red River and also helped out with the UND men's program the past two seasons.

I will give more information as soon as I recieve it. Feel free to message me with any questions about Brian or about the fund raising and I will be happy to help where I can or turn you to someone who will.

Thank you.

Mike

Here's what we know so far, there is a benefit fund set up for Brian and his family through Alerus Financial, if you would like to donate, please make checks payable to the Brian DeVillers Benefit Fund...we have a few ideas that we are working on are open to any suggestions...This is about Brain and his family and helping them with the undeniable burden that will be facing them...Now is a great time for us as a community to step up and show this influential family what support is all about...

Brian has seemed to turn a small corner; it is no longer about "IF" he is going to make it the focus is now on "HOW" he is going to make it...which is great...for all that Brian, Greg, Janet and the rest of Devillers family have done for this community and the influence they have had on youth sports Now is our chance to reach out and say Thank you by helping them in their time of need...

Thanks

I got some more news to share, and thought I'd give an update on Big D:

I got the opportunity to talk to Brian today. He is apparently up and moving around (with assistance) and is able to comprehend people and form complete sentences. It will take a lot of hard work on his part to regain all of the normal motor skills, but I have been told that he is expected (with time) to make a full recovery.

Again, any contribution you can make to help alleviate the financial situation the DeVillers family will incur would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.