SiouxSports.com Forum

Budget shortfall!

sioux goo

I guess that cutting, preparing and analzying did not work so well...numbers are 850,000 in the RED....youch...D1...how will this happen and work...oh yea...that 450 grand a year from the NC2A...BYW....where is that money coming from?? LTC???

On a similar note...glad to see the FB coaches get a 0% raise and LTC taking care of his administrative staff...with 5 and 10 % raises...well done...keep those coaches that got UND to where it is...I wonder how fast Mr. Bollinger found out about the 0% raise...my money says...quickly!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that cutting, preparing and analzying did not work so well...numbers are 850,000 in the RED....youch...D1...how will this happen and work...oh yea...that 450 grand a year from the NC2A...BYW....where is that money coming from?? LTC???

On a similar note...glad to see the FB coaches get a 0% raise and LTC taking care of his administrative staff...with 5 and 10 % raises...well done...keep those coaches that got UND to where it is...I wonder how fast Mr. Bollinger found out about the 0% raise...my money says...quickly!!!

Do you have a link or some reference to which you can direct us, the ignorant masses, or is this inside information only?

the athletic director and his staff are the problem,IN HIS MIND,they are more important than the coaches,at least they think so,maybe he can hire a few more and maybe he can have an assistant to the restroom,that is about the only thing that he doesnt have an assistant for, IS HE LIEAVING ANYTIME SOON?;)?

the athletic director and his staff are the problem,IN HIS MIND,they are more important than the coaches,at least they think so,maybe he can hire a few more and maybe he can have an assistant to the restroom,that is about the only thing that he doesnt have an assistant for, IS HE LIEAVING ANYTIME SOON?;)?

I laugh at how no one brings up the fact that last year for the first time ever Mr. Lennon got i believe it was a 6 year contract worth more than $100,000 a year. There are probably built in bonuses and things to that, before that he was only given one year contracts every year like every other coach at UND. Also do any of you know the amount of work it will take to go D1, paperwork, conference affiliation, scheduling, and thats just the beginning of it. Tom Bunning knows what he is doing more than most people on this bored including myself, give the man credit for what he has accompolished thus far.

As for the 850,000 in the red which is a projected budget, there is increases in the cost of recruiting already because the new mens head basketball coach has been traveling all summer, and this is the same with other sports. Anyone who is surprised by the budget shortfall already, really shouldn't even comment on this because a lot of people knew it was coming. The budget shortfall is not the AD's fault, if this topic wants to be discussed fine but dont just immediately call for peoples heads and expect anyone to take you seriously, because in the end it just shows your lack of knowledge.

because in the end it just shows your lack of knowledge.

I would bet it isnt because of a lack of knowledge...instead I would say its knowing the facts...which some know...some do not know..

Doesn't he have his own operation at BSU to run now? Why bring him up?

The man who should have been the AD...and if your not concerned...why cut and paste it??

The budget shortfall is not the AD's fault, if this topic wants to be discussed fine but dont just immediately call for peoples heads and expect anyone to take you seriously

Who would be the person in charge of this department....will we use the excuse he hasnt been here long enough...one year now...July to July...budget deficit was 150,000 more than projected...if anything...you couldnt keep it at projected...maybe it was that playoff bid...lol....oh yea that only cost UND 25 grand...lol..year 1 window has closed...I would say that the LTC's only saving grace would be Dr. Kupchella retiring before he gets too mad about the budget...but then again..what do i know...lol...then again...I predict that after 2 years...3 tops the LTC will have moved on and left UND with one BIG mess!!!

Along those same lines....when coach Hakstol went into the LTC's office to ask for more $$$$ for coach Berry....he was told it would not be possible....but its possible to give his staff raises as such....with this concept it will be difficult to keep coaches at UND....this is what happens when a outsider is brought in...but that is what Phil and Kuppy wanted....that way no marks on their hands....smooth move...ruffle the feathers and they arent the bad cop....brilliant!

In reading this thread, it's important to keep two points in mind.

No. 1: Anyone can say anything.

No. 2: Nobody knows everything.

Carry on.

You're way too easy on the lad. My response would have been that someone needs to grow a pair, and if they have a problem with something being done at UND, that they should man up, attach their actual name to their post, and provide some sources. Until that happens, pretty difficult for those of us, (that don't know all the facts like "siouxgoo", "fs1", and "d1sioux" say that they do), reading these accusations to give any merit to them. ;)

In reading this thread, it's important to keep two points in mind.

No. 1: Anyone can say anything.

No. 2: Nobody knows everything.

Carry on.

Thank you for saying this. All I could come up with was "prove it" or "give us a link where you found this information"

Your post is far superior.

Now back to deciding what is worse: Bison Dan and his idiotic rambling put downs or Sioux goo and his idiotic unfounded accusations.

It's been quite some time since Buning was named AD. I think the sour grapes routine is a TAD old. Accept it and move on.

Thank you for saying this. All I could come up with was "prove it" or "give us a link where you found this information"

Your post is far superior.

Now back to deciding what is worse: Bison Dan and his idiotic rambling put downs or Sioux goo and his idiotic unfounded accusations.

It's been quite some time since Buning was named AD. I think the sour grapes routine is a TAD old. Accept it and move on.

Typical sioux logic on anyone bringing up bad news - shoot the messenger.

There can be a number of reasons why the athletic budget shortfall can increase that has nothing to do with normal day-to-day operations of the athletic department.

For instance, the athletic budget likely includes the cost of the consulting firm for assessing long-term facility needs. If an architectual fee is also tentatively included for an indoor practice facility, that would also distort the true operating budget. If a building like a indoor practice center is later approved by the state board, many upfront costs (like architecture) would then be capitalized and the "deficit" would be adjusted lower (or eliminated) after the building's approval.

It is like Iowabison claiming that the REA budget had a million dollar shortfall which required an infusion of a million dollar "gift". But during the same time period, it was known that a large gifts were given to the REA finish the Betty in granite and leather like the main Ralph arena.

It's easy to jump to conclusions if the whole picture is not understood.

Sorry for reporting some facts....I guess after checking with my connection in Twamley in the Accounting department...it is true...850...but I wont speak anymore facts...some people remind me of the parent who chooses not to admit their son is bad or doing something wrong...head in the sand I believe is the term...carry on!!!!!!

There are three kinds of lies:

- lies

- damned lies

- statistics

"850" is a statistic until we know more about it.

Where's the how and why behind it?

Please don't tell me about raises for a couple administrators because that ain't "850". (If it is, I gotta get out of deliveries and folding towels. ;) ;) )

Why does that number exist? How did it come about? Specific line-item details please.

I have a gut feeling that 'booya and star2city aren't too far off the mark with much of what they say.

Details. Please.

Sorry for reporting some facts....I guess after checking with my connection in Twamley in the Accounting department...it is true...850...but I wont speak anymore facts...some people remind me of the parent who chooses not to admit their son is bad or doing something wrong...head in the sand I believe is the term...carry on!!!!!!

Sioux goo:

The tuition waivers that have been given out by the Sioux women's hockey have almost certainly exceeded 1/2 mill in the last five years. Is that the basis for your comments - accrued "loss" / tuition waivers?

"Sorry for reporting some facts??" You come on here and spew out a number and we are all supposed to agree without questioning??

Additionally, some of us don't believe in scolding our children until we have all the facts. As "Sic" said. details please.

Look for a possible new story on this issue in the near future on one of the local news stations or at least that is the rumor. If so hopefully some good information will come out of this and shed some light on this issue as it definetly needs it. Could come out ok or there may be alot more questions being asked of alot of people. This move may or may not prove to be premature if funding issues are not resolved to the satisfaction of some (especially in Bismarck) not to mention many in GF. Remember not all supporters of UND were in favor of it. One last thing, DON'T SHOOT THE MESSANGER!!!

Star: With regards to the Women's hockey waivers...my answer would be no...that is not where the unexpected costs came, with RT's plan which was still in place this year...the hockey team would increase its scholarships..or waivers by 3 every year until they would be fully funded....so as far as a unexpected cost...it wasnt there, unlike the LTC being quoted in the Dakota Student that he wishes the Women's hockey team would have been fully funded immediately...not such a good idea in light of the problems happening now...

On a similar note...I find it interesting that Shantel Rivard received a 0% raise...all indications from that would be...not supporting her...contrary to all the media reports.

Look for a possible new story on this issue in the near future on one of the local news stations or at least that is the rumor. If so hopefully some good information will come out of this and shed some light on this issue as it definetly needs it. Could come out ok or there may be alot more questions being asked of alot of people. This move may or may not prove to be premature if funding issues are not resolved to the satisfaction of some (especially in Bismarck) not to mention many in GF. Remember not all supporters of UND were in favor of it. One last thing, DON'T SHOOT THE MESSANGER!!!

So is Steve Hallstrom going to do another expose' on UND's athletic department, like he did last May when he practically assured distraught bison fans that UND would not be going DI?

It is a well known public fact that UND has been using tuition waivers for women's hockey. It is also known that UND, as an institution, uses fewer tuition waivers than NDSU. Consider also that UND's leadership has been open and communicative with the North Dakota University System.

You and a few other sorry but fearful bison fans are just desperately hoping that some type of scandal will derail UND's DI move.