SiouxSports.com Forum

Goalie

dj_hoime

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent heard much about the goalies this year but do you think it will be our weak spot? ;)

no question, if Lammy gets hurt, we could be in real trouble. Our defense will have to reduce the ave number of shots on goal this season. I suspect we'll be more disciplined on D and be shorthanded less often this season too. That will help. I doubt we'll have any trouble scoring goals though.

Phil will do well given this opportunity to lead the team between the pipes. I agree that Grieco will get some starts as well to give him some WCHA experience. I think he will do fine. But Lammy will be the man.

Our defense should be rock solid this year. They will be a strong d-corps.

I agree that our offense will score plenty of goals to compete. Having two lines with the caliber of player like Toews and Oshie will be huge. Teams won't be able to focus on just one line.

We should have a very good shot at the MacNaughton, as well as the title.

Can't wait for the season to begin.

I think Phil will do fine. However, I'm not quite as confident as #1 Hakfan. I also don't think goaltending is our weakness.

I'd like to see Grieco play. I don't know much about him (I know nothing about him that cannot be found on pointstreak or the Wellington Dukes roster page) so I'd like to see what he has to offer. Is he a steal like Schweitzer was? Or is he another Siembida? Who knows?

I just want to see the puck drop.

no question, if Lammy gets hurt, we could be in real trouble. Our defense will have to reduce the ave number of shots on goal this season. I suspect we'll be more disciplined on D and be shorthanded less often this season too. That will help. I doubt we'll have any trouble scoring goals though.

You COULD say that about anyone. But without seeing Grieco play I don't know you can know for sure that things are dire.

plain and simple: lammy is a hell of a goalie, in fact i have liked watching him in the pipes more than jp...just my opinion though.

another thing is that in 05' lammy played really well and in 06' the team just backed jp more for some reason...lammy had non of the backup that jp did. if phil can have the team back him more(what other choice do they have???) he will be able to lead them far.

If I remember right, Phil's goal support was poor in both seasons he has played for UND. Of concern to me is that he may not be a great communicator to the defense, or may be lacking some intangible that helps the team play well in front of him. Anyone else get this feeling?

I'm sure some of this boards readers have played with, known, or observed Phil closely. Perhaps some of your perspectives?

If I remember right, Phil's goal support was poor in both seasons he has played for UND. Of concern to me is that he may not be a great communicator to the defense, or may be lacking some intangible that helps the team play well in front of him. Anyone else get this feeling?

I'm sure some of this boards readers have played with, known, or observed Phil closely. Perhaps some of your perspectives?

Yes, Phil's biggest problem has not been his play, but rather the team in from of him. That must change this year. His GAA and S% have been outstanding and everything you could expect from an elite goalie.

i have great confidence in phil but until he gets the chance every game which he will this season, we really do not know what type of numbers he will put up. i do not care if he is in the top 2 or 3 goalies in numbers as long as we get WINS, that is the bottom line. i do think we have a hell of a defense in front of him and we have some great players to light the lamp, cant wait to see what phil does on a every game basis for the most part and lets get the puck dropped!!!

I don't want to be the the downer, but I would have to say this is the most nervous I have been about goaltending in many years. Maybe it is because I'm not from Grand Forks, but Lammy to me has a great tencency to go to the ice and "flop" for saves.

If the denfense rises to the occasion Lammy is as good as anyone at making the first save. Hopefully he has/will become better at controlling the rebounds and staying in position for a second shot.

I don't think it will be the "weak" spot this year. The further we go in the season the better off we will be as everyone gets more experience.

I don't want to be the the downer, but I would have to say this is the most nervous I have been about goaltending in many years. Maybe it is because I'm not from Grand Forks, but Lammy to me has a great tencency to go to the ice and "flop" for saves.

If the denfense rises to the occasion Lammy is as good as anyone at making the first save. Hopefully he has/will become better at controlling the rebounds and staying in position for a second shot.

I don't think it will be the "weak" spot this year. The further we go in the season the better off we will be as everyone gets more experience.

I have often been ridiculed but I feel the exact same way. When he's hot there is no one else I would rather have in net, hopefully the streakiness goes away, and the consistency shows with more confidence in being the number 1 guy. I guess we'll just have to wait and see

I definately thought that Parise was the better of the two goalies last season, Phil is probably going to be the starter, unless AG comes in an steals the show (which could happen). If Phil is the starter this season he is going to have to step it up and play better than he did last season. Having a good defense in front of him will help but Phil is going to have to make the second and third saves if the Sioux are going to keep the GAA down. Winning against teams like Wisconsin who don't give up a lot of goals is going to require that the Sioux keep them selves with in a goal going into the third period. The offense infront of Phil should score a lot of goals.

I didn't think it was the defense that was a problem in front of him, it was the offense. It seemed to me like he'd give up 1 or 2 goals and the guys would only score 0 or 1 so he'd have a fabulously played loss.