SiouxSports.com Forum

AD on Mac Talk

legend334

Recap:

The coaching decision was decided by the criteria. Which the AD set. Question was asked how NDSU hired within without certain criteria? AD danced around this question and did not answer.

Question why was Steve Johnson or Mr. Stafford not brought in by Mac...twice? Danced around answer,never answered the question. Reverted back to criteria, which brought out the best candidate.

When asked what it would cost UND to go D 1? AD did not know the number...later stated 1.7 million a year. Which will be a 3 prong funding, student fees, athletic revenue, alumni/marketing.

UND currently funds athletics institutionally 30%. Which AD states will have to switch to 70%. The only way that will happen is raise tuition, kill student fees or eliminate a few universities. ND cannot afford to fund the athletic dept.

Question: What time is the press conference, AD thought it was 3:30, it is 3:00...wow

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recap:

The coaching decision was decided by the criteria. Which the AD set. Question was asked how NDSU hired within without certain criteria? AD danced around this question and did not answer.

Question why was Steve Johnson or Mr. Stafford not brought in by Mac...twice? Danced around answer,never answered the question. Reverted back to criteria, which brought out the best candidate.

When asked what it would cost UND to go D 1? AD did not know the number...later stated 1.7 million a year. Which will be a 3 prong funding, student fees, athletic revenue, alumni/marketing.

UND currently funds athletics institutionally 30%. Which AD states will have to switch to 70%. The only way that will happen is raise tuition, kill student fees or eliminate a few universities. ND cannot afford to fund the athletic dept.

Question: What time is the press conference, AD thought it was 3:30, it is 3:00...wow

I've never heard someone who is supposed to be "THE" voice for UND athletics stumble around so much. Not impressed at all!!

I agree. That was not a great performance. I felt like I was listening to a poltician who never answered a question. Especially when Mac asked him twice to answer the question why Mr. Stafford and or Mr. Johnson did not receive a interview. There was scrambling!!!!!!

second, or thid that motion!! Hopefully this was his last hire. So what the AD beleives was the best fit for the criteria. In 2 years, when this D3 head coach fails, if he is here, will he fire him and admit his mis steps.

Mac asked him if he would do anything different in the search, after ten minutes of jibbering, he said, the process took him where he needed to go.

As a AD, who sets the criteria, at any point and time, can call over to Twamley and get whatever resume, application sent to him to consider for employment!!!

Mr. Wanless did it many times...but when asked if the criteria is set by the board of higher ed or whomever, he did say, it came from his office!!! Holy circles batman!!

Wow! The new women's hockey coach hasn't even been introduced to the public yet, and everyone is screaming for Buning's head.

Give the guy some chance to prove that he can do the job before you throw him off of the bridge for cripes sake......

Last I remember the majority of you could have cared less if UND even had a women's hockey program. Put your butts in the seats and then you have a reason to complain if the coach doesn't get the job done......otherwise, shut your mouths.

Wow! The new women's hockey coach hasn't even been introduced to the public yet, and everyone is screaming for Buning's head.

Give the guy some chance to prove that he can do the job before you throw him off of the bridge for cripes sake......

Last I remember the majority of you could have cared less if UND even had a women's hockey program. Put your butts in the seats and then you have a reason to complain if the coach doesn't get the job done......otherwise, shut your mouths.

Did you hear him on the radio today? He had no idea what he was talking about. He was skirting all of the questions. I think if you listened to it, you would be very unimpressed.

Also, one of the points to all of this is getting people to put their "butts in the seats". If it was a different hire, I think there would've been a bit of excitement towards the women's program and people would go out to support Johnson and Joyce.

second, or thid that motion!! Hopefully this was his last hire. So what the AD beleives was the best fit for the criteria. In 2 years, when this D3 head coach fails, if he is here, will he fire him and admit his mis steps.

Mac asked him if he would do anything different in the search, after ten minutes of jibbering, he said, the process took him where he needed to go.

As a AD, who sets the criteria, at any point and time, can call over to Twamley and get whatever resume, application sent to him to consider for employment!!!

Mr. Wanless did it many times...but when asked if the criteria is set by the board of higher ed or whomever, he did say, it came from his office!!! Holy circles batman!!

Why are you already giving up on a head coach who has never coached a game at UND? If, after 2 years, Steve Johnson/Mr. Stafford/Scott Koberinski didn't improve our program, would you call either of those coaches a failure or would you say "Give them time" because of their UND ties?

9 posts until a comment...wow, that has to be a record.

IMHO his own agenda is move UND D1...take some of the credit before it becomes a gigantic mess, leave, move on, make more $$$ elsewhere, pound his chest that he took UND to D 1.....questions??

A few other comments from interview. Question of Johnson or Stafford not getting a interview. It was defined in the job description for what UND's program would need. Again stated that he had to follow the rules, which the AD set.

HockeyMom, I never said one thing about throwing the new coach off the bridge. But I am asking for Mr Buning to be thrown off the bridge!

I guess more power to the new hockey coach. He was lucky enough to be looking for a job with a bumbling ----- in charge of the hiring. I wish I could fall into that(any suggestions for me).

And other than the hemorraging of money the woman's program does on the athletic department budget, I dont give one ounce about the woman's hockey program here at UND(just being honest). But it in fact has a HUGE negative effect on the athletic departments budget, which in turn affects the men's hockey program at UND. The woman's program has already had a great negative affect on the men's hockey budget and it has no signs of slowing down(many may not know,but our men's hockey program is in fact greatly underfunded when compared to all the other top programs in the country). So no matter who the coach is I wont be attending anytime soon. BUT OTHERS MAY HAVE! AND THE HIRING OF THIS COACH WONT EXCITE ANYMORE PEOPLE TO SHOW UP AT THE GAMES, WHEREAS THE OTHER CANIDATES WE HAVE MENTIONED WOULD HAVE!

Bottom line is no one knows if any of the canidates would have succeded or failed at the job, but I think we can all agree that if the HRKAC CIRCUS reunited at UND for WHATEVER REASON, it would have put more butts in the seats no matter what they did or where they did it at UND. That chance alone was worth hiring Steve Johnson!

One more thing, AS I STATED IN THE OTHER THREAD ABOUT BOB JOYCE COMMITING TO BEING AN ASSISTANT COACH, TONY HRKAC WAS IN FACT SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING JOINING THEM ON THE BENCH.

AGAIN ,THAT ALONE WAS WORTH THE CHANCE OF HIRING STEVE JOHNSON!

A few other comments from interview. Question of Johnson or Stafford not getting a interview. It was defined in the job description for what UND's program would need. Again stated that he had to follow the rules, which the AD set.

That is the part that really doesn't sit well with me. I could care less if the new coach has ties to UND or not, but don't give me some line of B.S. about having your hands tied when it comes to the guidelines set forth in the job description, when the guidelines were set by the Athletic Department.

Give him a break I don't think there has been too much complaining about the other hires he has made so far, Jones seemed to take the Men's basketball program in the right direction this year and the future seems to be headed ok there. The volleyball program also had a good season with it's new Coach.

Bottom line is the way to put people in seats is to win, people aren't going to go to more than a game or two because so and so is the coach they don't care if you don't win!

I'd rather see the women's team win on the ice, and have them earn the fan base on their own, than to have some former Sioux greats be on the bench to put fans in the seats.

I just think that it would be short-lived if that's how it happened.

I bet if we would of had dean blaise the coach of the chicks team, he woudl have put 50 more in the stands for the first coupel nites and then the gambler starts winning and then puts a 100 more in the stands the next coupel games. But no way in hell would dean coach girls hockey.

I'd rather see the women's team win on the ice, and have them earn the fan base on their own, than to have some former Sioux greats be on the bench to put fans in the seats.

The fan base is already developing. Why, just look at how popular women's hockey has suddenly become in the past couple of days. It's a miracle! :D