SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome Jason Gregoire

spfreak

I figured that with this being rather official he deserved his own thread. It's good to get another solid recruit for 08. It seems that we have a very good class coming in for that year and this just helps it along further.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured that with this being rather official he deserved his own thread. It's good to get another solid recruit for 08. It seems that we have a very good class coming in for that year and this just helps it along further.

Yea, verily. :D

How many want to bet there will be people out there saying that Hakstol was committing bush league recruiting tactics.

By the way I have mentioned that I can't see Hakstol actively recruiting a kid after he had verbaled. I believe this is one of those family

advisor/dad making a decision for a kid.

How many want to bet there will be people out there saying that Hakstol was committing bush league recruiting tactics.

By the way I have mentioned that I can't see Hakstol actively recruiting a kid after he had verbaled. I believe this is one of those family

advisor/dad making a decision for a kid.

I confident we'll find out that Hak had no undue influence on the way this went down.

When you operate on appearances only, then it is much easier to jump to conclusions. So, yes, I expect Hakstol and Co. to recieve plenty of flak over this regardless of how this came about.

That being said, this isn't the first time this summer this has happened. Michael Dorr did this to UMD. He committed to UMD, then withdrew and went to UMN.

I agree with whomever it was (dggoddard?) who speculated that the reason why Gregoire did this was because he only committed to DU in the first place because they said he would come in 2007 whereas I believe (unsubstantiatedly to be sure) that UND only offerred him a 2008 slot. Since DU asked Gregoire to stay until 2008, I'm thinking Jason decided to take the closer school to home with the same options.

I'm happy to have Jason, but I also hope everything is kosher with this.

Now to get Toews and we'll be set through the 2009-2010 recruiting class, I think.

When you operate on appearances only, then it is much easier to jump to conclusions. So, yes, I expect Hakstol and Co. to recieve plenty of flak over this regardless of how this came about.

That being said, this isn't the first time this summer this has happened. Michael Dorr did this to UMD. He committed to UMD, then withdrew and went to UMN.

I agree with whomever it was (dggoddard?) who speculated that the reason why Gregoire did this was because he only committed to DU in the first place because they said he would come in 2007 whereas I believe (unsubstantiatedly to be sure) that UND only offerred him a 2008 slot. Since DU asked Gregoire to stay until 2008, I'm thinking Jason decided to take the closer school to home with the same options.

Now to get Toews and we'll be set through the 2009-2010 recruiting class, I think.

Wow! What the heck is going on here? Jason Gregoire is now going to play for the Sioux? That is absolutely great news if it is true.

Anybody got any stats to view on this kid? I haven't kept up on him cause I figured he was out of the picture.

Gregoire is an interesting case. He had a serious injury this year playing for Lincoln and missed a ton of time. As a result his draft position may have taken a hit. But when he did come back the kid absolutely lit the world on fire. He appears to be a natural goal scorer. If you want to see his stats go the the Lincoln USHL page.

Gregoire is now projected as maybe a 5th round pick, but has the potential to go far higher. I suspect if he had played the entire season as he finished it, we may be looking at a top 2 rounds pick.

You are correct that this is far from the first time that this has happened. Kids change their mind without jumping to the conclusion that the school or coaching staff had anything to do with it. Years ago, a pretty good hockey player by the name of Chris Chelios committed to UND. I have heard that it was an actual signed LOI (it was at least a verbal), and Gino let him out of his commitment. I have also heard that Keith Ballard originally gave a verbal to UND. This happens much more often than you think. I sincerely doubt that Hak or his coaching staff had anything to do with Jason Gregoire's decision.

Besides, who cares what a few DU fans think?? Welcome Jason Gregoire.

As someone close to the family I can tell you that Jason is thrilled to be part of the UND Fighting Sioux family.

At no time did anyone ever contact Jason or his family after he verbally committed to Denver in an effort to persuade him to change his mind. The UND staff were nothing but professional and ethical in their handling of this difficult situation. It's also important to know that Denver treated Jason exceptionaly well and Jason wishes them the best in the future.

Whether he could play in 2007 or 2008 never had any impact on his decision to change his mind. Jason simply had some time to reconsider what was important to him, which is family. He realized that he wanted to play closer to home and that UND could offer him everything he ever really wanted and needed to ro reach his ultimate goals. He didn't take this lightly but he ultimately had to be true to himself. UND is where he wants to be.

Welcome Jason! A man like you that has his priiorities in order with family at on the top of your list is a great person. Having your family being able to watch you play all those games at the Ralph plus the series with the schools in MN will no doubt make them very happy. Take it from a former athlete that played for the Sioux, it was nice for my folks to drive to see me in action rather than read about it in the paper. Welcome! Enjoy... Great place to eat in Grand Forks, The .Red Pepper , may I reccomend the Grinders.

This is another great pickup. I cant wait to finally see jason play in a Sioux uni. Congrats Jason. Welcome to the Sioux Family

As for all the message board specualtion I think it should stop now. Who cares why he decided against Denver.

Put yourslf in the shoes of a recruit. If you didnt grow up dreaming to play for a certain team, think of the pressure you have to try and make the right choice. Then you have coaches trying to tell you what you should do. How do you choose between UND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, CC and Denver. Every one of them has a lot to offer. Great programs in the Best league in college hockey. Remember when you were 17, 18 or 19 and you were trying decide your future for the rest of your life. Its a TOUGH decision. Sometimes these kids are not given enough time and they rush there decision because there is a lot of pressure on them. The bottom line is no one thinks different of Lee goren or Chelios today or even Jason Blake for that matter. Lets just be happy because the program added another great Kid this week and wish him the best of luck.